Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Love Is In The Air - And a Card Share!

Love is in the air, my friends!  Does anyone remember who sang that song???  I've been singing it all morning:)  I'm definitely having a "love-hate" relationship with the month of February this year.  HAAAAATE it because it's been soooooo cold and snowy here in upstate NY.  I LOVE it because so far it's been filled with all things chocolate such as the treats featured in this display case I saw at Chocolate World in Hershey, PA when we spent a long weekend there earlier this month:

I would have bought one of each if I wasn't so worried about fitting into my skinny jeans:)  As it was the friends we were traveling with declared a case of "bag envy" when they saw how much chocolate I came away with - and Noooooooo, it wasn't all for me!

And we got to meet my great nephew Jackson (my mom's second great grandchild!) for the first time!  My mom and I fought over "holding rights" and who do you think won?? :)

And I tear up every time I look at this next pic:

My mom's always hated her hands as the rheumatoid arthritis she's had for most of her adult life has caused some deformity/crippling.  I wanted her to see the beauty in those hands:)

And February brought me another opportunity to give some purpose to my card-making.  A coworker who belongs to an organization promoting the advancement of women (Zonta) asked if I could help them out with their Valentine chocolate fundraiser by making handmade tags to decorate the boxes of chocolate.  140 tags in 4 days!!!!  I came up with 6 different designs.  Here's "fun and cute":

Here's "clean and graphic":

And here's "traditional":

The group ended up making $1000 to help fund scholarships to two local high school females who will be attending college in the fall. They loved the tags so much that now they're thinking of what else I could "tag up" for them to sell- LOL!

And finally, my "clean and graphic" tag design inspired me to create a card for the current Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge: Have a Heart


I rolled my masked cs panel with a brayer and ink from a Creative Beginnings spectrum pad given to me by my friend Sue (thanks Sue!) and then overstamped it with Hero Arts K5344 La Letter in black.  I really love all the cards I've been seeing using the new Penny Black rose die and I'm kicking myself as I had it in my hands last month and put it back on the shelf:(  Soooooo, I made do and cut the rose using Cricut Walk in My Garden cart from white cs and in deference to Pantone's declaration that radiant orchid is THE COLOR of the year I sponged on some old Stampin' Up orchid opulence and green galore inks.  Sentiment is from Hero Arts CL129 Anytime Messages.
Other Supplies Used:  Papertrey ink white cs, Stampin' Up orchid opulence cs, MFT banner die, WPlus 9 heart die, Amy Tangerine Sketchbook pp, Teresa Collins black enamel dots 

Thanks for all the constructive comments!

13 comments:

svelteSTUFF said...

Robin - I just love seeing BEAUTIFUL things made from basically 'discarded' items - it all comes to LIFE in your creative hands 8-)!!

Barb said...

Love the photos of your mom and great nephew, Robin - so sweet! What can I say about those tags you created - they are fabulous! All awesome designs! And your card is amazing! Such gorgeous colors! ♥

CinnamonSally said...

Thank you for sharing the photos of your Mum and Nephew, he is so cute. All those tags too they are fabulous!

Nancy said...

LOVE your "sweet" photos. Those tags are just adorable! Perfect! Your card is so lovely and romantic too! I especially like the graphic edge.

Cindy C. said...

Robin 140 tags in 4 days, that's impressive!! I enjoy all the styles. Great work!!

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I love that picture of your mom and the baby. So precious. Sigh. And I can't wait to see you this summer!

Rosemary said...

the tags and card are fabulous robin! absolutely love the photo of your mom's hand holding little jackson's!!

Virginia L. said...

You and I have another thing in common (we both have a new Grand nephew in Feb. and he is my in-laws' 2nd grandchild, too!) besides card-making and Barcelona!! I love your take on so many types of styles! You can do them all, Robin! The photo of your mom holding the Grand nephew's little hand is just too precious!

joy said...

LOVE that photo of your mom/nephew, Robin! My dad's name was Jackson. :)

The tags are all so nicely done and so varied in style. I agree with Virginia, you can do it all!

Love the radiant orchid rose - the PB rose die is on my (long) wish list!!

Joni Andaya said...

Wow...Robin this is my first time in your blog! You are fabulous and so creative! Love your cards :)

Greta said...

Wowzer, girl--you're amazing! I adore your tags--clean & graphic voted #1 but only by a hair! Your card is stunning! I "need" that PB die, too!

Greta said...

Forgot to say how wonderful your pictures are--truly treasures! And I bet your mom won the holding him war!

Michelle said...

Beautiful tags, Robin!
Sweet picture of your mom and nephew!
I too am sick of the February snow...hope March is kinder to us!