Saturday, May 25, 2013

CASology Challenge: Royal

This week's cue at CASology is:



And here is my card:


I'm sure you're all scratching your heads wondering how on earth I got from "royal" to this?????!!!!!!  Soooooo, I'm going to show you in pictures:)

The word "royal" brought to mind a three day cruise on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship I went on this past December with two of my bff's:
That's me on the left in blue, Deb in the middle and Susan on the right ready for a day at Royal Caribbean's beautiful private beach- Coco Cay.

Now the day before we spent a full day of sightseeing and shopping in Nassau, Bahamas and kept seeing these pretty shell ornaments for sale:

Being a crafty(and frugal!) gal I scoffed at the thought of buying these when I knew with a bit of glitter and ribbon from my stash we could easily make some ourselves.

Soooooo, the three of us spent hours at Coco Cay beach collecting just the right shells:

And don't worry!  We put that cute little starfish back where he belonged:)

When it came time to ferry back to the ship Deb and I stowed our treasures in our beach bags.  On the other hand, Susan filled her empty, covered frozen drink cup with her finds and sailed through the metal detector with cup in hand.....and watched as Deb and I sadly had our shells confiscated when our beach bags went through a security check!  I don't think Susan is ever going to let us live this one down:)

With this anecdote in mind and an older set of shell images from Stampin' Up I decided to create this card to send to my cruisin' buddies to let them know I'm thinking of them:)  And to remind them it's time to start planning our next trip!
Other Supplies Used:  Papertrey ink rustic white cs, Stampin' Up bermuda bay and soft suede cs, Hero Arts ocean dye ink and soft brown shadow ink and sentiment, Martha Stewart glitter

Happy weekend everyone!


15 comments:

Barb said...

What a great story, Robin! Too bad ya weren't able to bring the shells home! But I do love your beautiful card - a wonderful and creative take on the challenge word! Fabulous photo of the three of you too! Enjoy your weekend! :)

Tracey McNeely said...

Fun take on this week's Cue Card! Sounds like it was a fun card. Thank you for sharing with us this week at CASology!

Nat said...

looks like a beautiful vacation (tons of inspiration in these photos) and such a wonderful "royal" design :)

Greta said...

Oh for crying out loud, Robin! Creative genius--love your card & the story & the picture!

svelteSTUFF said...

too perfect! ...and if you EVER decide you 'NEED' to make those shell ornaments you are more than welcome to raid my overflowing stash!!

Ardyth said...

Great unique take on the cue card - love that it brought back happy memories (and that you weren't on one of those ill-fated cruise ships we've seen on tv lately!) Thanks so much for playing along with us at CASology this week!

CinnamonSally said...

Love the story behind your card Robin, perfect CAS card too!

Cindy C. said...

How fun, now I understand! Beautiful card btw!!

Rosemary said...

love your "out of the box" take on the cue word, robin!! thanks so much for playing along with CASology!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Perfect use of Royal to remember your cruise, Robin! Sorry about your shells though!!

Trinh said...

This is beautiful and a creative take on the challenge, Robin! I love the small strip of brown with the gorgeous teal. And great story too!

Maureen Morton said...

Such a funny story, Robin! Sorry you had to leave your stash behind.....but you've got the memories. And I love this great CAS design....my heart belongs in the ocean, you know. Simply lovely!

Lisa said...

OMG- love this back story- too funny! It makes perfect sense :)
LOVE this card- it has the perfect amount of sparkle on the starfish to make this just superb! XX

Jay said...

Nice work!

Michelle said...

I didn't know you had to return the shells...OMG!!! I do the same thing when I want to buy something I know I can create!! We're not frugal...we just know we can make it better! I always love looking at your pictures.
Your card is so lovely, Robin! Reminds me of LBI!!