Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Trip to the Zoo


Today was my mom's birthday and it also happened to be the day the assisted living facility where she lives had planned an outing to the zoo.  And since there was room for one more they let me tag along :)

Look at how bored and grumpy this orangutan looks:


But look what happens when he finds himself with an audience!  Hee!

This pair of rhinos look as dry and dusty as the ground where they're resting.  Did you know they are hunted senselessly for their horns only?  Their meat and hides are left to rot.

They say cats sleep for at least 20 out of the 24 hours in a day.  At least this snow leopard lazily opened her eyes for the camera!

You can see why the staff at the zoo have nicknamed this seal "Flounder":

And lastly here's a pic of the birthday girl - I think her smile says it all!

So incredibly thankful for days like these :)

5 comments:

joy said...

Robin, I was the director of a retirement community for 10 years (independent living facility with 85 apartments.) I can relate to trips like these - it was always fun to plan outings and, sometimes, I would tag along, too. We had an activity director who always accompanied them, but I loved going, too.

Now I am 72 and living alone in my own place; who knows - maybe someday I will be in the same situation as your mom. She looks very happy! Life is what you make of it, isn't it??

Thanks for sharing these photos.

Lin said...

I love going to zoos! Looks like a really fun day, especially if you could share it with your Mom! Loved your pics, Robin, thanks!

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Awww. It's so good to see your mom, Robin!

Anita Rex said...

Hi Robin! What a great way to celebrate your mom's birthday! :> I am so glad you were able to go!

GrammySue's Creations said...

Hi Robin, It sounds like the zoo was fun and I am happy that you enjoyed your day with your Mom. Love the pictures that you posted and thanks for sharing them. Thank you for the very nice comment that you left on my blog. Have a wonderful day; take care and God bless.